TEDxStormont is set to publish 12 standalone TEDx Studio talks by speakers from many disciplines and backgrounds to share new and fresh ideas. This series of talks aims to develop a better understanding of ourselves and each other, bringing curious minds together and changing attitudes, lives, and ultimately the world.
Since 2013 the TEDxStormont team have organised over 20 events and meet-ups, including TEDxStormont, TEDxStormont Women, Salons, City 2.0, TED Global viewing parties, TED Circles, Countdown, and in response to the global pandemic a week-long virtual Summer Camp.
Almost 6 million people globally watched 138 TEDxStormont talks, ideas were shared, hearts and minds changed, and legacy created. This would not be possible without the support of the TEDxStormont community: speakers, audiences, partners, supporters and sponsors.
Over the years, TEDxStormont has not only engaged with political and civic leaders, academics, business leaders, thinkers, doers and shakers, but also provided a platform for young people, hard to reach communities and women’s groups to make great ideas accessible and spark important conversations and new ways of thinking.
TEDxStormont is continuing its mission and is delighted to be awarded the Studio licence – a unique opportunity designed to provide greater flexibility to produce compelling new ideas anytime, anywhere, outside of the traditional TEDx events.
The TEDxStormont team will produce 12 standalone TEDx Studio talks to experiment with format, to innovate and share ideas worth spreading. The dozen speakers from all walks of life will cover a variety of topics including accents, entrepreneurship, resilience, storytelling, the role of the media in post-conflict societies, creativity, shame, trauma, forgiveness, and the art of the impossible.
Our 12 speakers are:
– an award-winning campaigner and writer published by The Guardian, The Independent and The New Statesman.
– a champion for diversity, equality and inclusion in NI’s tech industry, and a board member of Mediation Northern Ireland.
– a celebrity columnist, media commentator and almost-qualified barrister.
– a Strand Hair salon owner, entrepreneur and hair stylist making customers look amazing by advising, cutting and styling their hair, and often providing friendly support to her clients.
– a founder of award-winning training and educational social enterprise CRAICNI, a trustee of New Europeans, vice-chair of the Migrant and Minority Ethnic Council NI and member of the Centenary Forum, Northern Ireland Office.
– a qualified medical doctor, member of the Royal College of General Practitioners and founder of NI Coffee Maps.
– a couture milliner and accessories designer. Most recently adding art fabric and wallpaper designs to her portfolio, Gráinne is the curator of the Irish Millinery Collective, and a member of the British Hat Guild.
– a director, producer and writer. During 2020 Hen founded discussion platform Six Strangers, providing a private, digital space for small groups of individuals to have conversations about what it is we share.
– a survivor of childhood sexual and emotional abuse, co-facilitator of the first Adult Survivor of Child Abuse (ASCA) meeting in Northern Ireland.
– an athlete, accountant, tech enthusiast, footballer for Ards FC, tech company co-founder and a youth ambassador for the Rio Ferdinand Foundation.
– a former BBC political correspondent and author, a pilgrim guide with The Saint Patrick Centre, leading and promoting a new Irish Camino – St Patrick’s Way.
– an Irish cellist whose online recitals recorded at a picturesque County Mayo cottage have reached millions of viewers across the globe.
Once uploaded to TED, Studio talks will be promoted via TEDxStormont social channels and the TEDx official YouTube channel during summer 2021. TEDxStormont Studio is supported by Allstate NI.During 2021, TEDxStormont is also planning a series of exciting engagements and events around COUNTDOWN – a global initiative to champion and accelerate solutions to the climate crisis, turning ideas into action.
Watch out for further announcements via TEDxStormont social media, including Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, and subscribe to TEDxStormont YouTube channel.